“To feel safe and warm on a cold wet night, all you really need is soup.”— Laurie Colwin
When it’s cold and wet, all you need is soup, and if it’s a healthy soup like Gahat, even better.
Now, you may be asking, “what is a Gahat soup?”
Gahat is one of the varieties of daal (lentils). Gahat dal in English is known as “Horse Gram”. It is packed with nutrients that also offer many health benefits. This soup is mostly served in the Terai and Hilly regions.
Ingredients of Gahat Soup
- Gahat: 200 Grams
- Ginger: 10 Grams
- Garlic: 10 Grams
- Cinnamon: 10 Grams
- Cardamom: 2 Pods
- Clove: 3 to 5 PIces
- Fenugreek: 10 Grams
- Cumin Seds: 10 Grams
- Dry Chilli Seeds: 5 Grams
- Cumin Powder: 2 Teaspoons
- Coariander Powder: 1 Teaspoon
- Red Chillies Powder: 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tablespoon
- Jimbu: 5 Grams
- Salt: 1 tablespoon
- Ghee: 20 Grams
- Coariander Leaves: For Garnish
How to Make Gahat Soup
In order to make a Gahat Soup, you will have to soak the lentil (Gahat) overnight or for 8 hours as a pre-preparation. After that, all you need to do is mix the ingredients and let it simmer in low to medium heat for sometimes and you will be done.
Total Time: 8 hours and 30 minutes
Step 1: Initial Cooking
– Put the Lentils in a pressure cooker
– Add 2 cups of water
– Add salt, crushed ginger, garlic cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, cumin, and coriander
– Add in half a tablespoon of turmeric powder and red chilies powder
– Cook for 15 – 20 minutes
Step 2: Cooking some More
– Take the lentil out of the pressure cooker
– let it cool down
– Add a cup of water
– Let it simmer for 5 minutes
– Heat Ghee on a saucepan
– Add in fenugreek and cumin seeds
– Add red chilly seeds, finely chopped garlic, half a tablespoon of turmeric powder and Jimbu
– Pour the mixture of lentils into the saucepan
Step 3: Garnish and Serve
– Chop up some coriander Leaves
– Sprinkle them on top of the Soup
– Serve on a hot bowl
Now, let’s looks at some Gahat dal benefits.
Health Benefits of Gahat Soup
Gahat is a type of Lentil which is filled with minerals such as Protein, Iron, and Calcium which are some of the nutrients that our body requires adequately to function. On top of this, Gahat also has other nutrients such as carbohydrates, dietary fibers, phosphorous, Thiamine, Riboflavin, and Niacin. This results in Gahat Soup being a healthy choice for soups. The following are some of the more common health benefits of this soup
- Due to Bean sprouts being filled with proteins it helps you to loose weight
- Bean sprouts are filled with dietary fibers and these fibers Helps you to manage Diarrhea
- The fiber contents of Bean sprouts not only helps in your stomatch ache, it also Helps to manage Hemorrhids as well
- Due to the abundance of Vitamin A in bean sprouts, it helps in improving your eye health
- Bean Sprouts contains a lot of Vitamin C that aid in the growth of Immune System
- The proteins and peptides bean contained within bean sprouts can help in reducing the risk of cancer
- Due to the presense of Peptides, Bean Sprouts also helps in reducing Hypertenstion which is more commonly known as Blood Pressure.
Gahat soup is one of those foods that we consume regularly but don’t know the specifics of. it is a simple soup that is both tasty and healthy as well. This comfort food that is usually recommended by our grandmas and grandpas is one of the underrated among the lentils.
The texture may be a bit rough when compared to other lentils that we are used to eating, but the benefits of Grahan Soup outweigh the small chink in the mail of the texture.
On a side note, the taste of this soup is best preserved if you serve it on a hot plate.
Hope you found this article helpful. If you have any suggestions for us, do let us know them down in the comments below. And as always thank you for reading till the end.