They say not everything that looks tasty is not good for you. This statement does not apply to tomato soup as this dish looks good, tastes good, and is good for you. Tomato soup is one of those well-known soups that you see everywhere alongside Chicken soup and Mushroom soup.
This soup with savory and earthy taste supplemented by the creamy texture is one of those few soups that require an ingredient with a recipe on its own. In this case, the ingredient is tomato puree. You can make it beforehand or just buy a readymade one from the market.
So with this being cleared, lets move on to the recipe
Ingredients for Tomato Soup
- 1.25 kg of ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 100 grams of a small carrot
- 50 grams of coriander
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon of tomato purée
- 2 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.2 liters hot water or vegetable stock
Note* this recipe is for 4 portions of soup with each portion having 200 Milliliter of soup
How to Make Tomato Soup in Nepali Style
Total Time 20 minutes
Step 1: Chop the Veggie
– Cut the tomatoes and remove the hard pieces
– Chop the onion
– Chop the carrot
– Chop the coriander
Step 2: Cook the veggies
– 2 Tablespoon olive oil into a large heavy-based pan and heat it over a low heat
– Tip in the onion, carrot, and celery and mix them together with a wooden spoon
– Cook the vegetables until they’re soft and faintly colored on low heat
stir them two or three times
Step 3: Stew the mixture
– Squirt in about 2 tsp of tomato purée, then stir it around so it turns the vegetables red
– Sprinkle in some sugar and grind in a little black pepper
– Tear 2 bay leaves into a few pieces and throws them into the pan
– Stir to mix everything together, put the lid on the pan and let the tomatoes stew over low heat for 10 minutes
Step 4: Prepare the soup
– Pour in the 1.2 liters of hot water
– Turn up the heat as high as it will go and wait until everything is bubbling
– Cook gently for 25 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
– Remove the pan from the heat
– Take the lid off and stand back for a few seconds
– Ladle the soup into your blender until it’s about three-quarters full, fit the lid on tightly and turn the machine on full
– Then pour the puréed soup into a large bowl.
– Pour the puréed soup back into the pan and reheat it over medium heat for a few minutes
Step 5: Serve
– Serve on a warm Bowl for best taste
It is recommended to use a Vegetable stock to enhance the taste and the nutrients of Tomato soup. To make vegetable stock all you have to do is roughly chop up some vegetables like onion, carrot, cabbage, and celery, grab some herbs like cloves, and simmer them in water under low heat for 2 to 3 hours. After you do this, filter out the vegetables.
Now this stock can be used for any other dishes that require water to enhance their flavor. Along with this, you also have to know that the average shelf life of a tomato soup inside the refrigerator is 3 to 4 days so be sure to make only as much as you need.
Thank you for reading till the end. As always if you have any suggestions for us, be sure to leave them down in the comments below.