Colorful Celebrations: Holi Events to Attend in Kathmandu
Holi is one of the oldest and most significant festivals in Hindu culture, celebrated worldwide as a symbol of love, friendship, and new beginnings. This vibrant festival of colors has its roots in ancient mythology, with legends of Lord Radha and Krishna inspiring its rituals and traditions. While many people love the lively energy of crowded Holi concerts, others prefer to explore quieter, more intimate events.
If you’re looking for Holi event places in Kathmandu, you may be struggling to find detailed information about the different events happening around the city. In this article, we’ll explore some of the top 10 best event places in Kathmandu for Holi 2023, including both free and paid options. Whether you’re a local or a traveler, this guide will help you discover the best places to celebrate this colorful festival in Kathmandu.
Free Holi Events in Kathmandu
1. Kathmandu Durbar Square
One of the three Durbar Squares in the Kathmandu Valley, Kathmandu Durbar Square is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that houses numerous temples, palaces, and courtyards. During Holi, the square comes alive with festivities, music, and colorful powder-throwing.
- Event Place: Kathmandu Durbar Square
- Address: Deegha Pahleja, J.P. Marg
- Event Organizer: Newaidol
Located in the heart of Kathmandu, Tudikhel is a large open ground that serves as a venue for various events and functions throughout the year. During Holi, Tudikhel hosts a massive concert that attracts thousands of people.
- Event Place: Tudikhel
- Address: Ratna Park
- Event Organizer: Not specified
3. Namaste Lions Holi Hungama
This is a Holi event organized by the Namaste Lions Club in Thimi, a town located on the outskirts of Kathmandu. The event features food, music, and lots of colors to celebrate the festival of Holi.
- Event Place: Namaste Lions Holi Hungama
- Address: Dui Pokhari, Thimi
- Event Organizer: Not specified
4. The Ministry Bar
A popular bar and restaurant located in the neighborhood of Naxal, The Ministry Bar hosts a Holi event that features DJ music and rain dance. The event is free to attend and open to all Holi enthusiasts.
- Event Place: The Ministry Bar
- Address: Gairidhara, Naxal (behind the TATA showroom)
- Event Organizer: DJ PREM
5. Holi Event in Bansbari
Bansbari is a residential area located in the northwestern part of Kathmandu. The Holi event here is organized by Chef Bharat, a popular local chef, and features music, dancing, and lots of colors.
- Event Place: Holi Event in Bansbari
- Address: Bansbari Road
- Event Organizer: Chef Bharat
6. Bhaktapur Durbar Square
Another UNESCO World Heritage Site, Bhaktapur Durbar Square is a cultural and historical landmark located in the town of Bhaktapur, about 13 km east of Kathmandu. During Holi, the square becomes a hub of activity with people smearing colors on each other and enjoying the festive atmosphere.
- Event Place: Bhaktapur Durbar Square
- Address: Bhaktapur
- Event Organizer: Mahakali Pyakha Pucha Mushykhwo Samuha
Paid Holi Events in Kathmandu
1. Manang Hotel
Hotel Manang is organizing a Holi event that promises to be a fantastic, entertaining afternoon for all ages. This ticketed event includes tasty street food and snacks. For more details, contact the hotel through the following:
- Address: Jyatha, Thamel, Kathmandu
- Contact: 01-4700121, 01-4700047, 9851052685
- Email: [email protected], [email protected]
- Website: https://hotelmanang.com/
- Booking and location details: https://roomandfood.book-onlinenow.net/ or https://goo.gl/maps/pNnikFk3twGacFfc7
2. Mantra Lounge & Bar
Mantra Lounge & Bar is hosting a Holi event with an entry fee of 500 NPR and a free beer included in the ticket. Come and enjoy a colorful event filled with music and dance. For more information, check out the details below:
- Address: Basantapur Plaza, Kathmandu
- Event by: Mantra Lounge & Bar
3. Aryana Botique Hotel
Ruslan presents a Holi parade with artists from India and Nepal at Aryana Boutique Hotel. The event promises to be full of fun and unforgettable memories. The entry fee is 1000 NPR per person or 4000 NPR for a group of 5 people. Check out the details below:
- Address: Naagpokhari, Naxal, Kathmandu
- Event by: Ruslan
- Performances by: Rishav Shrestha, Nishan Manandhar, Trishna Singh
4. Rara Lake Tour
Rara Lake Tour is offering a fully inclusive package tour for the celebration of Holi fest. Join them for a 6-night and 7-day trip to Rara Lake and celebrate Holi fest in a new place with new people. For more information, click the link below:
- Address: Chhetrapati, Kathmandu
- Event by: Rara Lake Tour
- Details: Rara Lake Tour Grand Holi
5. Sawa Garden Cafe
Sawa Garden Cafe invites you to celebrate the festival of colors and their 3rd anniversary. Join them for a colorful and fun-filled Holi event. Note that sharp objects, chains, food, water/alcohol bottles, etc. are strictly prohibited. Check out the details below:
- Address: Madhyapur Thimi, Kamerotar
- Date: Sunday, 15th Chaitra, 2077 | 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Contact: 9818799805
Thank you for reading this article on the free Holi events happening in Kathmandu. We hope this information was helpful and you are now aware of some of the exciting events happening in the city. If you found this article informative, please consider sharing it with your friends and family so they too can make the most of this festive season. Also, feel free to leave your comments and share your own experiences of Holi celebrations in Kathmandu. We would love to hear from you!