- Genre: Mystery, Thriller, Science Fiction, Drama and Supernatural
- IMDB Rating: 8.8
- Seasons: 2 (Season 3 releasing on 27th June 2020)
- No. of Episodes: 18 till Season 2
- Duration: 45 to 50 minutes on average
- Language: German and English Dubbed
- Watch on: Netflix
Dark is the first German production from Netflix, released its first season on 1st December 2017, the second season was released on 21st June 2019, and the third season is going to release on 27th June 2020.
It is a science fiction thriller that takes place in Winden, a small peaceful town in German. The story begins with the strange disappearance of a few children which is somehow related to the strange four families (Doppler, Neilsen, Kahnwald, and Tiedemann) from the town. In season 1, there are 3 generations (1953, 1986, and 2019), whereas in season 2 two more timelines are added i.e 1921 and 2052. The basic concept of this series is time travel and time paradox. They can travel 33 years back or in the future with the time machine. Thus, the story is about how characters travel to change their past and whether they can change their future or not. Furthermore, in this process, some hidden secrets are revealed connected to Black Hole which can delete the existence of the whole planet from the map of the universe.
What I like about this series
- It is a mindblowing show that puts you in a position to use your full focus because the number of details you can miss while watching is extraordinary. Like what will happen next, how it happened, and so on. Throughout the series, you are compelled to think and completely mess your mind.
- Time Paradox is a very complex concept. However, the director has managed well to show all the incidents in a loop without any mistakes. Because if any incidents do not match with each other, the whole series gets flop.
- We can see a lot of emotions from many characters like love, jealousy, desires…
- Each episode raises audiences’ suspense, that keeps us engaging.
- There are so many characters, a lot of subplots, but everything is shown simply.
- Best casting ever. The child, adult, and old versions look so similar.
- Storytelling and character development is the best part of this series. Despite having many characters, the director has succeeded to manage every character smartly. With time, how people get changed, is clearly shown in this series.
- Also, the subject of the 1986 Chernobyl Nuclear Accident is also shown in many scenes.
- Though it is confusing, it clearly explains everything clearly.
- Costumes are the fabulous part of the show that tells the timelines of the story. Also, the set, props used in every timeline gives us the vibes of that year.
What I didn’t like about the series
- Difficult to get attached to characters: It is not so easy to understand and to follow every character, and their different versions are very hard to memorize like who is who, how are they related to the storyline, and each other. There are too many characters so none of the characters get enough screentime. Also, these characters jump from different timelines 1921, 1953, 19886, 2019, and 2052. That’s why its hard to get attached to every single character. We even do not relate to or feel any sympathy or empathy for any of these characters.
- Not a single humor in the complete show: I am wondering if there was even one smile in the whole series. Just because the show is called dark, it does not mean that all characters have to be dark and depressive. Since there is no humor at all. That makes it sometimes boring.
- There are jumps in between scenes as you won’t know, is it 1986 or 2019.
- The show is too slow
- They have raised too many questions in the series and none of them is answered. There is too much going on with a lack of meaning behind it.
- I think the soundtrack is overused, even in the most simple dialogues. Also, dubbing is not as realistic as it could be which is done by American voices.
- Acting: You will find some acting very robotic. For example, The kid Mikkel goes to different times but no reaction, no surprise, no emotion or anything.
- Do not watch if you want logic: There is no logic behind this. Just its better to ignore it thinking it as a never-ending cycle. Time paradox is a never-ending circle. “The end is the beginning, and the beginning is the end.”
Questions to be answered in Season 3
- What is Hannah doing after staying in 1954? Can Hannah be the dead woman on the lake of Bartosz’s story?
- Does the picture resemble the old versions of Magnus, Bartosz, Franziska, and Martha?
- What is the origin of Alexander Tiedeman?
- Who is Adam?
- How did Charlotte, Elisabeth, and Noah’s family tree play out?
- Who is new Martha and where did she come from?
- What is Old Claudia’s Plan?
- Which Jonas led Mikkel through the cave to 1986?
If you are a fan of movies such as Shutter Island, The Prestige, Inception, Interstellar, Predestination, etc. then just go and watch it. This is gonna surprise you in a big way. People who like suspense, thriller, horror, or time travel-based content should not miss Dark. But if you are looking for something to watch half-heartedly while simultaneously checking notifications on your phone, then this is not for you. Also, you will not find a single place to laugh at.
Your mind has already blown with only these four-family, then just imagine what will happen when their past and future will come in the story. Forget about your tough board exams, this series will take your real exam, and every time you will only have thoughts of Dark in your mind.
To be honest shows like Dark was never made and will never be there. It has its own beauty, we can not compare with any other similar kind of series like Stranger Things, Twin Peaks… Hats off to the makers!! How they have beautifully executed everything from one world to the second world and second world to the third world, how one can travel to the past from the present or see your own future. The thought only brings goosebumps to us.
Season 1 is Dark, Season 2 is Darker and I hope Season 3 will be the Darkest. Curiously waiting for Season 3!!