- The Power Of Your Subconscious Mind is clear from the title as it dwells on the importance of one’s consciousness.
- Its a spiritual self-help 1963 classic & it has the power to heal, create, and make one’s life better.
- Written by Dr. Joseph Murphy (Ph.D. Holder in Psychology)
- Has a total of 20 chapters
Lessons Learned from the Book
1. Difference between conscious & subconscious mind
|Characteristics||Conscious Mind||Subconscious Mind|
|Definition||Conscious Mind is the reasoning mind that makes rational decisions choosing from what you know, think or intend to act on a moment.||Subconscious Mind is sleeping and involuntary mind that contains many years of experiences, memories, habits, and principles that guide and influence us.|
|Example of a Car||Subconscious mind is like a manual car which is driven by you. You operate the brake, gear, accelerator of the car, whatever you do but after thinkings||While subconscious mind is just like an automatic self-driven car, that car takes decision automatically.|
|Gatekeeper||It is like a gatekeeper which helps us to put in information and protect your subconscious mind from false impressions.||It accepts what your mind decrees.If you say “I can’t afford it,” your subconscious mind works to make it true. Select a better thought. Decree, “I’ll buy it”.|
|Reality and Secret||Consciously thinking is the reality, we can think consciously and whatever our conscious thoughts are, they produce a similar result in the subconscious.||Subconscious mind is the biggest secret of life because our thoughts, ideas, believes are in our subconscious mind, these things decide our future.|
|Activity dependency||Only 5% is done consciously as it is not so enjoyable. It takes right decisions and right path is hard to walk on.||The studies of experts say that, “We do 95% things in our day to day life with subconscious level”. And subconscious mind always avoid pain and likes to enjoy, pleasure, party, going out etc. Its hard to have success.|
|Decisions||Takes decision consciously from the information & experience in our mind.||Your subconscious mind can not take jokes. 95% of your decision is taken subconsciously from the information you have stored consciously in your mind.|
2. How our mind works and how can we use our minds to get what we want?
Our mind is our most precious possession. It is always with us, but it’s more powerful when we learn to use it. As we have seen, there are two levels to our mind- the conscious or rational level and the subconscious or irrational level. We think with our conscious mind, and whatever we habitually think sinks down into our subconscious mind, which then creates according to the nature of our thoughts. It is a creative mind. If we think good, good will follow and if we think evil, evil will follow. This is the way our mind works.
3. Law of belief and faith
The law of life is belief. And the belief of your mind is simply the thought of your mind. Thinking positively is like believing in yourself and that helps to achieve a certain goal or outcome because without believing you never take initiation to act on. Believe and accept it. The mental attitude-the way you think, feel, and believe- determines your destiny.
4. Wonders of sleep: how your subconscious mind can solve the problem when you sleep
Our subconscious mind never sleeps or rests. It is always active, controlling all our vital forces. The healing process takes place more rapidly while we are asleep because there is no interference from our conscious mind. You can find most of the answers while you are asleep. The wisdom of your subconscious mind can instruct you and protect you if you pray for the right action as you go to sleep. If you are having hard time deciding between several options, give yourself a night to sleep over it.
5. How to become more rich: How to attract the money you need
There is enough money in the world, you just need to attract them to make yours with positive thoughts. You are rich or poor by your belief. Everyone has the right to be rich. Those who respect money will attract money, and those who criticize money can not attract money. Entertaining negative thoughts will chase away the money you want, so better love and respect the money that you want for financial freedom in life.
6. How to become successful and happy by using the power of your subconscious mind
Having a happy, peaceful, and doing what you love to do is a successful life. To be successful, first, you need to find out what you love to do, then do it, get specialization. Nothing is impossible, the only impossible is in your own thought or mental image. If you can visualize what you want clearly, then nothing can stop you from achieving what you want. If you, yourself is not clear then how the universe will know what you want and how it will fulfill your desire. So make your path very clear.
7. How to have better human relationship and solve marital problems
Your subconscious mind is the recording machine that reproduces your habitual thinking. Whatever you think about yourself and others becomes your reality. When you think positively about others, you are actually thinking positively about yourself. When you have negative thoughts about others, you are actually attracting negative to yourself. So, wish for the other to wish for yourself. This is the key to harmonious relations.
8. How to improve health and stay young in spirit forever
Age is just a number because your subconscious mind never grows old. If you continue to grow qualities like patience, kindness, veracity, humility, peace, harmony, brotherly, and hunger to learn and be a better version of yourself every day then you will always remain young in spirit. Feel needed. We grow old when we stop dreaming and when we lose interest in life. We grow old if we are irritable, crotchety, petulant, and cantankerous.
Also, for an ill person, the placebo effect acts wonder to treat their illness thinking that they are healthy mentally will convince their body to heal. Believe in yourself & you can definitely do wonders.
9. How to remove fear
People’s greatest enemy is fear. Fear of failure, sickness, past, future, old age, poor human relations, and death makes people weak. But it is just a negative thought in our minds. This means we are just afraid of our own thoughts.
To overcome these fears do the things that you are afraid to do. If you are afraid of losing, give attention to winning. If you are afraid of illness, dwell on perfect health. If you are afraid of death, focus on a beautiful life.
10. How to build or break a habit
We build our habit patterns by repeatedly thinking and doing similar things over and over until it establishes tracks and becomes automatic. For example, you do not forget to drive a car if you have driven for many years. You can choose the habit you want, either bad or good, it is in your hand.
Weak Points of this Book
- At times, it’s boring, all points could be sorted in less than the size of the book.
- There are far too many biblical references & one begins to suspect there is a religious driver behind this.
- There are instances where the author has referred to the law of attraction (from book secret of Rhonda) where he says that by only truly believing & using your subconscious mind without hard work you will be able to achieve something & I totally disagree with this.
- No logical explanations for even a single line. No proof. Examples upon examples without any validity.
- There were a few examples that were like made-up stories. The author hasn’t disclosed all the information to you from several stories, characters & how the subconscious mind fulfilled their wishes.
- From today’s perspective, the book feels quite outdated.
- However, the main concept of this book is so good. It shows how powerful your mind is and has techniques on how to use your mind
- It will help you to have a positive outlook towards life in general. It will teach you how to control your haywire thought processes and all the hogwash you think which is unnecessary.
- It helps you to understand the functionality of your brain and how much we are ruining our life through negative thoughts, and certainly, it deals with how to overcome & get what you want.
- When you finish the book, it will instantly put a smile on your face. Since the last line says-You are wonderful.